Wednesday, April 2, 2008

POPAGANDA PRUCEY

I viewed Ron English's documentary POPaganda: The Art and Crimes of Ron English yesterday and it was interesting to see Ron's earlier career work since I only know him from his later works and from gallery openings that we both attend. It was fun seeing him on the old Morton Downey Jr. show and especially to see his earlier photography work which I thought was mind boggling -- without the use of Photoshop he created these black and white photographs of situations which seemed impossible. But beyond all of these pleasant discoveries, the one surprise which really threw me for a loop was the fact that out of nowhere, during the billboard paste up segments one of my best friends , Jim Prucey, (who is an artist as well) pops up in the picture. He even has a line in it in which he complains of stepping in the dog droppings that were peppered around the area. I had forgotten that Jim had told me once he used to help English years ago - (15 now to be exact) and that he had a great time then hanging out with him at his studio and talking art.












All in all I thought the film was a fun history into Ron English's work, especially if you don't know much about his past history and only know him form his art featured in places like the documentary Supersize Me. So check out Popaganda. I know it's one of those instant view choices if you have Netflicks.

1 comment:

AeXStrider said...

Hmm I might actually larn me something from this.[btw thats an old gamer tag, you know me as pete]