Sunday, March 30, 2008

FAIRED OUT & THE CURIOUS CASE OF LITTLE PLASTIC PEOPLE

So I hit Three fairs on Friday - The Red Dot, Art Now Fair and Bridge Art Fair. It was great because I finally got to meet a lot of the gallery directors from Shooting Gallery, Limited Addiction and Foundation One Gallery. All great guys . The most amazing thing to me walking around those fairs is how everyone expresses themselves differently. So many times I came across pieces where I would say to myself "wow, never in my life would I think to do that." and in some cases want to do that. Also I notice a large influx of Asian artists - primarily from China with the huge boom going on over in Beijing. Last Weekend's New York Times had a great article about the art students in China with Beijing’s state-run Central Academy of Fine Arts being transformed into a breeding ground for hot young artists.



Cang Xin


I also find the concept of collective consciousness intriguing. I noticed there were quite a few pieces of art involving those little plastic people figures - three or four different artists I would say I came across....here are a few of them...




Walter Martin and Paloma Muñoz




Akiko Ida and Pierre Javelle




José Pacheco Silva

No comments: